Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Some kinda crazy



On Facebook yesterday, someone had posted this ad for No Bra day on October 13th. I don't understand how setting one’s"ta-ta’s" free for a day by going bra-less is in any way supporting breast cancer. Another thing that bothers me is all the ads trying to make breast cancer look sexy. Breast cancer is definitely not sexy. In fact, it's the farthest you could ever get from sexy! But the ads people come up with amaze me. At least they are creative and trying to raise awareness in their own strangely unique way. 


I'm not trying to be cynical in this post, it just baffles me how the folks who prepare and pitch these ads just don't seem to "get it." They don't seem to really understand the concept that breast cancer is a life altering, body altering, and emotionally altering disease.
https://perksofcancer.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/tatas.jpg

Take a look at this woman's photo. I don't know her personally but the photo was shared on the SCAR PROJECT's website. This photo is a good representation of the "un-sexiness" of breast cancer.
 
The SCAR Project is a series of large-scale portraits of young breast cancer survivors shot by fashion photographer David Jay. Primarily an awareness raising campaign, The SCAR Project puts a raw, unflinching face on early onset breast cancer while paying tribute to the courage and spirit of so many brave young women. You can visit their website here: The SCAR Project Their mission is three-fold: raise public consciousness of early-onset breast cancer, raise funds for breast cancer research/outreach programs and help young survivors see their scars, faces, figures and experiences through a new, honest and ultimately empowering lens. I'd love to be part of that project as both a breast cancer survivor and as a photographer. I can think of no greater honor.
 
Now to give you an idea of how silly some ads can be, look at the photo below. November is prostate cancer awareness month. I'd like to issue a new challenge...on November 13th lets…..SET THE BALLS FREE and see how big that movement goes over! I'm willing to bet you won't see any ads like this floating around and I'm willing to bet you won't find any men going around sans pants. Now do you see my point? Do you see how ridiculous some ads are in the world of breast cancer? I rest my case!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your comments with me here. Be sure to click on publish when you are done. Comments will be reviewed before being posted to prevent spam or inappropriate content. Thank you!

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com